15 May 2008

Darmstadt RTF - 150km - Monday May 12th - Pfingsmontag

Set off alone at a leisurely 9:30 - to avoid Rupert being able to use his who's-laughing-now look .

Soon found myself in a pretty fast group which was great on the flat against the headwinds, but doing me a lot of damage to keep up on the climbs. No problem, I thought, this is fun, I'll just have to feed well at control 2 and I'll be ok - I only had one bottle and a couple of gels for emergencies. What I hadn't counted on was that Rupert, and Jerome and his Citybike gang would've scoffed all the food at all of the controls. I ate a gel at 2 but it wasn't enough and I ended up wobbling horribly slowly up the long hill from Amorbach completely empty. I had my second gel and scrounged half of the controller's private small salami broetchen at kontrol 3 and got an apple at 4. Luckily there was still plenty of low/no-cal tea so I didn't dehydrate, - from what Rupert said I wasn't the only one. A feast of a broetchen and bottle of coke at the Michelstadt Aral set me up nicely for the final 60km and I almost enjoyed the climb up Lindenfels.

Apart from being knackered for a while and the accompanying bach-ache I thought it was a really nice route.

Lesson learnt (again) - don't count on being able, to get food and drink on an RTF if you don't start early. Have some breakfast.

Really nice route, much better than I remembered from years back, only marred by the bachache and running completely empty.

According to my scales my body fat was down 2% (to 15%) after the ride - if only they weren't lying!!

No comments: